What we have here is a failure to communicate (name that movie)...damn the Hawks for trying to show that I don't know what I'm talking about and putting together a complete, solid road victory against a formidable (if flawed) foe. And we made free throws to boot...YESSSSS!!!!! To the analysis...
Game Recap - Hawks 99, Pistons 95
Str8 Butter Award - Flip Murray and Al Horford STEP RIGHT UP...more Flip than Al, but I have to give props to both guys when we needed to exploit the fact that the Pistons are dysfunctional (no Rasheed in the 2nd half.. huh? Did he talk to Acie Law IV in the tunnel?). Finally, Al was asserting himself in the offensive end of the court. 11 shots and we want more...
Starter Kudos/Smackdown -
* Williams - Nothing special tonight, but he definitely made baskets when they were available.
* Smith - Save the 3pter and the lapses that say .. I'm Josh the point guard and the missed free throws. Oh, let me stop fooling myself it was classic good Josh, bad Josh. But it's the good Josh that makes the bad Josh tolerable.
* Horford - As we said, if he steps it up - we are a viable and dangerous 4th seed...otherwise, we're a 1st round flop candidate.
* Bibby - The weight of last night's game might have made that foot sore and kept Mike from doing anything, but he was ineffective tonight, but in classic fashion - no Acie to back him up. Thanks Mr. Murray for picking up the slack.
* Johnson - Classic Joe Johnson - finally was shooting well from the floor, which is what we've missed from Joe. As a playmaker, he's been fine, but struggling with the floor game makes things tougher for this team and it was good to see him back and in control of his game.
* Murray - Flip came to play - didn't force much, made big shots...of course, that begats the Josh Smith-like - I can make anything, but hopefully the All Star break will shake him out of that.
* Pachulia - Short stint, but a stint nonetheless, which is more than we can say for other bench players.
* Evans - Quiet night, but solid defense and steady veteran play.
* Law - DNP...way to reward an uneven performance and a good clean up performance once again on a night when your starting PG is playing fairly bad. Thanks, Woody.
* Jones - DNP
* West - DNP
* Morris - DNP
* Gardner - DNP
* Hunter - Inactive
No big complaints - the team played well, so I'll give Woody some credit. I can't help but give demerits every time you have Acie Law IV playing ok and needing to build his confidence, esp. on a night when your PG is not playing particularly well. But I'm speaking into thin air on that one.
Str8 Talk Love
No Str8Talk Love for this road game...but I'm going to try to get to the Lakers game after the All Star Game if these economic times will allow it.
We hit the break at 31-21 and after weeks of making the season prediction 44-38, I have to take a pause and determine that we can go 15-15 down the stretch, so I'll change it to 46-36. That may be enough for the 4th seed in the East...we shall see! Congrats to Joe, Al, and Mike on being a part of the All Star Game activities and stay healthy!!
Hawks drop Game 1 to the Cavaliers 104-93 despite 27 points from Dennis Schröder - The comeback was fun to watch, but the Hawks couldn't close. The Atlanta Hawks fell down as many as 18 points in the third quarter, and despite their be...
3 hours ago