One more victory in the books and the Hawks are looking for more ways to instill confidence in the fan base. While our friends at Hoopinion, THHB, Peachtree Hoops, and The Vent seem to have all angles covered, we'll simply highlight the rights and wrongs of our assessments of the Hawks season to date.
Game Recap - Hawks 121, Hornets 98
- No coach, no All Pro guard...no chance!
- Osh Smith has one more game to prove his worth as a decision maker and we are returning the J to Osh's name.
- David West does NOT look like the All Star he was 2 seasons ago.
- Marvin as super sub has been revised to simply Marvin as a sub. At this rate, Mo Evans as a starter sounds like the only way this season could get better.
- Atlanta Fans - it's ok to show up to the games on time (or even late) for the #1 team in the East. Particularly with the Blazers coming to town for a little get back.
Starter Kudos/Smackdown -
* M. Williams - Admittedly, maybe this blog has something to do with Marvin's slump. Maybe there is some belief that we believe Marvin doesn't have the talent to be a starter. Well, let's put that to rest. Marvin could score 15-20pts for about 20 teams in the league as a starter, but just not this team AS A STARTER. The offense doesn't lend it self to the # of shots or even the type of game where Marvin's jump shot could be taken advantage of consistently. And that's why we want a move to the bench. Marvin working off of Jamal's isolation plays would result in more scoring opps with Joe Smith and Zaza Pachulia picking up the garbage buckets. Someone pass this note to Coach Woodson...
* Osh Smith - Let it be repeated...#1 in blocks, top 20 in steals - Yes, let's go ahead and start the All Star and Defensive Player of the Year buzz...
* M. Bibby - As we alway say, if you can score and manage the game to a draw vs. your defensive assignment, then it's $6M/yr well spent.
* J. Johnson - Manageable minutes, good shooting percentage, and a continuation of the 'we are making strides, but there is work to do' rants maek this fan very happy.
* A. Horford - The end to the double double train isn't a bad thing when your front court counterpart is essentially gobbling every rebound in sight, but it shouldn't be forgotten that Al is in the top 10 in rebounds...yes, rebounding has returned to the Highlight Factory!
* J. Crawford - Uncle! Yes, Crawford is Murray 3.0! That would be a few generations ahead of the old version. The fact that the defense is kinda porous is trumped by the fact that 3.0 is a version that passes the ball. Not to mention being the 2nd leading scorer - stay focused on the rim, Jamal
* J. Teague - Ok, bring me back off the ledge with more playing time. And while thinking about that - is there REALLY that much difference btw the #10 pick and the #19 pick? I mean Brandon Jennings - are you really doing it like that?
* M. Evans - Remind us when we should write something other than solid D, spot up Js
* Joe Smith - Not really going overboard with this, but Joe - follow Osh's lead - no 3pt shots from the power forward position.
* Z. Pachulia - No words...just regular Zaza productivity!
* R. Morris - You'd think a smile would cross your face when you get PT and 6pts and 2 boards in 4 minutes. Is that like a career high?
* J. Collins - DNP
* Hunter - Inactive
No complaints AT ALL - Yes, that's a HS8T first. So, we'll stop talking now before we figure something out.
Str8 Talk Love
There's never a dull moment in the stands on a Saturday night...unless Chris Paul doesn't show up. We guess that everyone got wind and said - let's save our voices for the Heat on Wednesday. And that's a shame since it was my first time checking out a game with my younger brother, Lamar. While it's like he came from another mother when it comes to cheering for the Hawks, it is always a good time to be had with baby bro.
Not only that, it's doubly good when the seats put us in visible sightlines of the gorgeous Rosci of BET as well as the many celebrities in town for the two movie shoots - Stomp The Yard 2 and Lottery Ticket.
Dance Team/Game Ops update - N/A
Shout Outs - Will Stephens, Parris, Craig, Jen, Kat, Katherine...
Final Notes - There are no more notes necessary. Just happy to see us kill a wounded duck with minimal effort.
51-31...yes we can! Go Hawks!