We'll start with a few shout outs...shout to Sekou Smith for his fine reporting of the Hawks for the past few years as he moves on to NBA.com. You'll be missed - we'll see how takes up the mantle..Bret, a job just opened up :). CoCo's Vent has been on a game recap tear and YES - we are taking full credit. Please check her out...
Close road wins happen to all teams, so I'm not going to beat up the Hawks at all for being pushed by the Kings. As much as I love to analyze these things to death, years of losing this type of game give tons of perspective. Any critique below is just a footnote to the thought - this game resides in the win column. If this happens in Atlanta on 1-2 days of rest, we'll have a different take.
Game Recap - Hawks 113, Kings 105
- Jason Thompson and Kevin Martin look amazing when playing the Hawks
- Tyreke Evans doesn't look as good as Brandon Jennings as a basketball player, but he is a physical specimen.
- There should be no correlation to Osh Smith being on the bench when the game is still in the balance and fan nerve endings being erect.
- If we were on Judge Mathis, Jamal Crawford trade being a heist vs. Hawk Str8Talk is looking like a slam dunk. In fact, we might not even get on the show.
- The Joe Johnson burnout watch is at code Orange. Jeff Teague playing fairly well (i.e. he didn't turn the ball over or get overrun on defense) has only resulted in 2 minutes less per game for Joe. As a contrast, the San Antonio Spurs are a contending team and their rookie (some guy from Pittsburgh is averaging 20 minutes a game and is delivering 8pts and 8 rebounds in 20 minutes.) In fact, no Spur is averaging 30 minutes a game. Just sayin'
- Another game where we had superior rebounding and block totals. Can't tell you how good that feels.
Starter Kudos/Smackdown -
* M. Williams - A start worthy effort doesn't change the visual of seeing Marvin languishing in this offense. Of course, Jamal playing with an Iverson like abandon might extinguish any belief that a move to the 2nd team would change this. Eyes are watching...
* Osh Smith - Limited outside shots, no turnovers, 4 blocks, activity on both ends, only held back by foul trouble...yep, the challenge of regaining your J is moving in a good direction.
* M. Bibby - We were hoping for a 30pt game from the old lad to go with the win, but we'll take one of Bibby's most acrobatic layups in years.
* J. Johnson - Joe knows how to make 4th quarters work for the Hawks. Let's just leave it at that...
* A. Horford - It's a win, so we'll take it, but there is fear when Horford doesn't dominate (or the Hawks don't recognize that Horford needs the ball to dominate) the Kings frontline. Maybe it's the offense, but having the Josh/Al battery outscored on the inside by Jason Thompson/Spencer Hawes brings sadness
* J. Crawford - Whatever was said yesterday...repeat that
* M. Evans - There's really nothing new to say about Mo other than we're glad he's a Hawk.
* Joe Smith - Another abbreviated appearance.
* Z. Pachulia - Incomplete
* J. Teague - Another promising short stint...promising - good; 1 short stint - not so much
* R. Morris - DNP
* J. Collins - DNP
* Hunter - Inactive
We won, so consider this a question, not a critique (it's too early for critiques). How do you help a player learn the position if you don't play him during all types of games. A DNP and 5 minutes on a back to back (esp. when the 2nd game is against a team where an extra 10 minutes probably doesn't lose the game) speaks to what? Trust? Skill? How do you reward good play in short stints? What is the plan for the role you want one of those 4 guards on the roster to assume? Again, not critiques - just a request for understanding...A critique happens when we didn't win back to back games on the road or when we look back and see that Jeff Teague has as many less than 5 minute performances as Acie Law IV. Until then, we want to know the plan vs. offer a critique...until next time.
Str8 Talk Love
There wasn't a lot of love in that game, more like - too boring to stay all the way awake and so insignificant that there was no Hawks Live afterwards...damn you SportsSouth.
Dance Team/Game Ops update - N/A
Shout Outs - N/A
Final Notes - Simply put - it's a win. Deal with it...
So, the 49-33 sticks. Gotta love growth - 2 road back to back wins...