Guess you gotta like it as a writer when the recap is simple, so let's just keep it simple. There could be several things to point to, but when you have a complete meltdown on offense - you can't beat a team that aside from LeBron James (picture that) played (or maybe we should say shot) well. To the recap,
Game Recap - Cavs 95, Hawks 84
- Josh trying to keep Mike Woodson from getting thrown out of the game...priceless!
- Bob Rathbun walking to Cleveland..pricelesser!
- The 2 foul monster, the free throw monster, the technical free throw miss, the no trust in the bench rotation...is this 2008-2009, Coach Woodson?
- Ok, to the simple - if you can't score in 8 minutes of the 4th quarter, you probably aren't ready to win.
- For all the apologists, with rest and at home vs. a big time contender - the Hawks still are a double digit loser. Now, can we maybe we talk about what areas the Hawks and Coach Woodson can use some improvements, particularly at the offensive end? It stands to reason that uptempo is the way to beat the Cavs vs. a half court offense that we certainly have not perfected.
- For all the supporters, with rest and at home vs. a big time contender - Marvin Williams proved his defensive worth vs. LeBron James...even with Josh out of the lineup, the Hawks defense withstood the crucible.
Starter Kudos/Smackdown -
* M. Williams - We'll say uncle for now on the Marvin vs. Mo in the starting line up questions.
* Josh Smith - I would love to know how you can impact the game when fouls aren't an issue, but what has happened so far that you can't realize that jump shots are really still not your thing - in fact, I know I heard the Cavs help defense say very audibly - LET HIM SHOOT! If that isn't an indictment on jump shots - nothing is.
* M. Bibby - yeah, we definitely need to see more out of you on nights like this to keep my desire to see Jeff Teague to a minimum. That said, I appreciate that Woodson had you on the bench based on his desire to see better defense. If you bring no offense, you are useless to us.
* J. Johnson - This would be the night where a fourth quarter burst would be worthwhile.
* A. Horford - Really no complaints after a great defensive effort, but we do want to say - if you are alone for a dunk, don't pass to anyone for a three. Please.
* J. Crawford - You da man, bro. Nuff said...
* J. Teague - DNP
* M. Evans - Yet another epic fail on the offensive end.
* Joe Smith - Welcome back, Joe.
* Z. Pachulia - I'm really at a loss at what to say about Zaza tonight.
* R. Morris - DNP
* J. Collins - DNP
* Hunter - Inactive
The only thing I'll say is - it would stand to reason that timeouts are there for a reason. Designing something that would get us out of the rut we were in in the 4th quarter would make me feel better about our coaching situation. Not only that, but also the Josh Smith sit down for the 1st half again. Let's just get the minutes we can out of him in hopes that his total minutes provide us the margin of victory.
On a night when Usher, Chris Tucker, Chris Brown, Akon, and many more were in the building, we stand up tall up until the 4th quarter...and of course on a night when LeBron is shut down. Chances of that happening again - not as likely as our going 54-28. We'll figure out if that prediction needs to change if we lose by more than 10. See you in Cleveland...