So, it's time to get back on the game recap train and of course, I have to pick a stinker of a back to back to watch it. Fortunate it is that the Hawks have gotten so much better that a stinker can be a split of two games vs. emerging and submerging talents. Not only that - the Alpha Male battle has begun...see below
Game Recap - Thunder 105, Hawks 99
Game Recap - Hawks 103, Clippers 97
- Hate to say it, but I'm not so sure I don't wish (stripping city loyalty out of it) I was a fan of the Oklahoma City Thunder. Role Players, Alpha Male, Young Stars, and defensive mindset..just simply a great thing to watch.
- All of the fawning for Jamal Crawford's offensive talents aside, Joe Johnson took the last two games to re-establish why he's really, really, really good. And when he forgets about trying to force us to recognize his greatness - it's that apparent.
- I gave up on Marvin Williams as a 'Jeff Green' type talent (who'd a thunk that two years ago) a while ago, but it seems like Coach Woodson has as well.
- The refs are clearly aware that Jamal Crawford is the 4 pt play king and are ready to make sure that record is obliterated.
- Again, Jeff Teague and D-League..a match made in heaven
- It's actually kinda sad to see that the book is full blown out on Mike Bibby. I mean they are attacking him like there's no tomorrow.
- Baron Davis is the poster child for how to get paid and then shut down everything that made you one of the top 5 point guards in the league.
Starter Kudos/Smackdown -
* M. Williams - A double double and not a whiff of the 4th quarter stretch run...now, we were coming back and winning, but is something brewing here?
* Josh Smith - First, I love Josh more than any other Hawk, warts and all. That said, I told you that Josh falls more in love with the jumper as the year goes along. (Pssst..that would not be a good thing!)
* M. Bibby - Already been said - the decline is apparent and to hear Mike Woodson acknowledge that he's asking him to do less and now wants him to contribute on defense and rebounding is just the kind of quote that really makes us seriously question whether the coach is the right one for this team. (Note: I advocated for Coach Woodson's extension in the offseason and think he's earned an extension despite the belief that I don't think he's a championship caliber coach.)
* J. Johnson - Like Katt Williams, let your star boss player shine...
* A. Horford - Is there a more laborious route to a bucket that's also successful on the low block?
* J. Crawford - the 4 point king ...maybe his nickname should be the 4 Leaf Clover! Luck, steals some Celtic shine..let it sink in, people.
* J. Teague - Jeff Teague complaint basket has been shut down, so just know that as soon as we wise up to the D League idea - I'll provide updates here.
* M. Evans - Not really much to say...
* Joe Smith - Welcome back to the game...I will say that if anyone is equipped to deal with Coach Woodson's player rotation strategy - it's him.
* Z. Pachulia - Guess bottling the Celtic killer Zaza didn't really go so well, huh.
* R. Morris - Inactive
* M. West - DNP
* J. Collins - DNP
Not really putting anything on Coach Woodson for these two games other than whatever you should say about a coach when the team doesn't really play well on the road or when they almost lose to a team that gave you your worst home loss of the past season.
Str8 Talk Love
Kinda just not really sure what to make of these two games. Are the Thunder better than us? Could we compete in the Western Conference? What are major motivators other than putting Celtic uniforms on each team in the league? Just don't really know what to say about the game ops, the dancers, anyone...so we won't say a word more.
31-17 to turn into 50-32 means we'd have to go 19-15 down the stretch. That wouldn't be a progression toward the 60% clip we've been on all year, so let's hope I'm completely wrong, but I feel like without a roster shake up (Bibby and/or Williams) to the bench - we're going to regress instead of progress heading into the postseason. Am I crazy for thinking this?