I actually AM surprised by this...nope, not the loss. But a loss of less than 10pts...yep, that's stunning in this Woodson era. Ok, I kid, but let's not get it twisted - I can't tout that stat anymore, BUT we don't have to act like it makes the loss any easier to take or even the root of the criticism for losing by larger margins and that's that we don't compete well when things aren't going well for our team. Save the Celtics - we simply don't get up for any other games. As we've noted again and again, the Hawks are not a lunch pail group, simply put. The coach says his defense works - well, not this postseason! The offense takes care of itself (and to its credit - in lots of cases, that's true, but it's due to talent, not any cohesiveness), but not when it really counts. So, we'll just focus on the things we saw in our first insta-blog of the postseason.
Game 4 Recap - Bucks 111, Hawks 104
- Joe Johnson was the only player who brought the requisite fire and determination needed to win playoff games, yet we only lost by 7. That should be a place to start in explaining why we are better than the Bucks.
- Marvin Williams can determine that he wants to show up for this playoff series at ANY time now.
- Josh Smith is essentially erasing every measure that said - he's all grown up now...please stop with the Rasheed Wallace act.
- Add Kurt Thomas to the growing list of players we could have added to the team to address our gaping leadership, toughness holes
- Yes, I said it - we got no heart. We basically lost because Kurt Thomas took the heart from our team. Unacceptable!
- I'm still waiting to see the Mike Woodson stamp on this series.
- Take away Bibby and Delfino and it was a horrid 3pt shooting performance by both teams.
- Larry Brown - you sure you want to run the Sixers with Mike Woodson as your coach...seriously! Here's what we'll do - we'll give you our first round pick to take Woodson with you.
- Guess Mike's 'figure it out', 'the shyt works', 'things we gotta clean up' mantras are wearing thin.
- So, after watching the Mike Woodson's post game conference - he's obviously DELUSIONAL! He said 'we've been mentally prepared for every game this season' (which wasn't even true in Game 3, which was ADMITTED by your own players). He then said that there's no road problem. Kept going back to the 'we need to look at the tape' crap - that's laughable...uh, we had no HEART! Say that...
- Which leads me to this - YOU DON'T NEED TO LOOK AT THE TAPE. I don't believe the tape and making adjustments is your forte, Woody. You even defended Evans shooting 3 shots in crunch time as shots he normally makes instead of saying - hey, we didn't get the ball to players who we pay to make those shots. You should not feel good about the position we're in - no way you should feel good about what we did!!!!
- Who shortens the roster and then sits their All Star Center for most of the game for fear of ..not the deer..but fouling out.
- Did we just let the BUCKS shoot 55% from the field? With the DPOY runner-up on the floor at that...
- I'm going to reiterate - we are WAYYYY better than the Bucks from the shoulders down. We just didn't have the intensity and focus and sense of urgency to win a playoff basketball game. Not effort - we had effort, but that Bucks team played like a team and WANTED to win - we didn't. Plain and simple...
Starter Kudos/Smackdown -
* M. Bibby - Again, you came out and shot the ball from 3 well, but didn't stop anyone on defense, so it's a big ol' wash.
* J. Johnson - While you made a mockery of my 4 dribbles or less theory, you didn't inspire the team to play harder, so you too gets no love.
* A. Horford - How many ways can you ice your own player? Woody, choose one.
* J. Crawford - If you played any defense, you would get some love from me, but nope.
* J. Teague - DNP
* M. Evans - Woody said you normally knock down those shots, so I'll leave it at that...you didn't, but the coach believes you can, so keep shooting in crunch time.
* Joe Smith - DNP
* Z. Pachulia - Zaza - would it help if I said that we are playing the Celtics?
* J. Collins - DNP
* M. West - Might as well be a DNP
I've already made it clear that I don't think Woodson is the coach to take us to the next level. And that was encapsulated by the fact that he called a 1st quarter TO just to argue with the refs. Not spend time getting his team on track, but to only argue with the refs...Sorry, but you and your team aren't good enough to use TOs just to complain to refs. That, by itself, says everything about why we are what we are. What message does it send to a team that isn't playing well on the road if you send the message that the refs matter THAT much in the first quarter. It was bad enough that Thomas took our heart, but when the refs, the crowd, and the players are in our heads too - the coach's head even. You already know that we're a tender headed team, so to feed into it was just another indication of how mentally unprepared we are for championship dreams from top of the organization on down...
Str8 Talk Love
I have no words...
Dance Team/Game Ops update - N/A
Shout Outs - N/A
Final Notes - N/A
Since I predicted hawks in 5, I will just say - let's hope we win the series, period. The Bucks made this into a 'hope' situation. The Bucks I say...really disappointing night.