This blog is dedicated to my complete distaste for the way our team is coached. Before anyone says, tell us something we don't already know - I would like to simply say that I have refrained from spending all season railing against Coach Woodson. We've discussed his changes in foul management, timeout use, management of Jamal Crawford, and an occasional motivation tactic (by occasional - we mean 1). Now, 10-20 games ago, I said that Jeff Teague's rookie season was a complete and utter waste. I still maintain that position. I'd make the same claim regarding Marvin Williams and whether we've learned anything about his ability to make the quantum leap necessary to make the Hawks a very dangerous team. So, without further ado, here's my ode to why the Hawks, who CoCo has so adeptly reminded us, might not make it out of the FIRST round.
Game Recap - Pistons 90, Hawks 88
- No Joe Johnson excuses when 4 of the best players on the Pistons team are not playing. And to think that the same story was written in the first Hawks/Pistons game. Hobbled Pistons beat Hawks...how are you not up for this game to get some 'get back' for the first time they beat you in the Palace?
- Did I mention how much I hate the Pistons?
- I simply can't understate just badly mismanaged Jeff Teague's year has been by Mike Woodson. By every discernible measure, this is just something I really can't ever ignore on a game by game basis. It's kinda like Hoopionion and his love of Nick Fazekas (except we want Teague to be our point guard of the future, not the 14th man on our roster).
- I also will say that, despite a below average game, Maurice Evans looks like another beneficiary of increased minutes. He's proven that if you give him minutes he looks better than if you don't. A complete no brainer option off the bench for this team over Mario West under any game situation that isn't...garbage time or fouling time.
- Finally, these last few games have highlighted exactly why Mike Woodson is correct in not starting Jamal Crawford. There isn't a shot that Jamal thinks he can't make. I actually believe that Osh Smith is following Jamal's example of not knowing how to play to your strengths.
- So, let me get to the thing that made my blood boil...yes, as a blogger, who reads and watches all quotes that pertain to my fair Hawks - I should be very accustomed to the quotes that aren't supported by fact or just plain politically vague to deflect any true criticism, but in game 78 - the height of illogicity (i'm submitting this word to Scrabble) would be to hear your COACH saying - "we've got to figure it out" to a problem that has been staring you in the face for much of the season. That's just not possible that that was said. Worse, is not hearing a media person say - well, what do you plan to do to figure it out? (but I digress). You can't tell me that at game 78! After Game 78 (or 68 or 58 or 48 or how about preseason), you have to outline a strategy for actually CHANGING that issue. Now, as a blogger, I've taken heat for making suggestions that change our mix - who to go to, what players to play more or less, even playing style, but the 'we have to figure it out' falls to YOU TO FIGURE IT OUT!!!!! The players have already shown themselves incapable of FIGURING IT OUT. So, I need the coach to do something to show that he is not going to keep rolling out the same ball, players, and strategy and expecting different results. That's insanity personified. Yes, we have reached insanity levels here.
- Thank you Marvin for doing something to shut me up about how terribly bad I want you to go to the bench.
- And so much for thinking that simply running would work - last night we ran more than i recall us ever running and yet, we still lost. Not really a ringing endorsement...when you're playing the Pistons.
- Last Note: For all that's good and holy, I promise that if I see unhealthy Bibby, Zaza, or Joe Johnson playing the rest of the regular season and it shows itself in the postseason. Trust me - every good thing I've ever said about this organization will come to quick halt. I have never said an outright FIRE WOODSON, but you can rest assured that despite every reasonable measure that says he's coming back (remember: I said that we should sign him to an extension in the offseason despite my belief that he's the wrong coach to take us to a championship) will be replaced with every tool in my utility belt aimed at firing the coach. Y'all thought Tiger's skeletons came out the closet fast...just test me on this one. I'm checking domain name availability on GoDaddy.com RIGHT NOW...